The Heart is a Lonely Hunter - Carson McCullers
The book started promis­ing. You get to know the char­ac­ters and you think the rest will be a good story about these peo­ple in a small Amer­i­can town. In a way you get what you thought, but not entirely. For one, I never really got to know the char­ac­ters, they didn’t move me in any way. Sec­ond, I never got in the dif­fer­ent sto­ry ­lines and the story as a whole. The story didn’t sweep me away from my own liv­ing room into the world cre­ated. Third, there is always a time and place for dif­fer­ent sub­jects. So when this book started to give me polit­i­cal and social stan­dards between North and South and black and white, my lust for read­ing decreased with every word I read. No sub­tleties there and I think the way it is brought to us here, doesn’t belong in a fic­tion book. The sto­ry­line of Mick Kelly, a twelve year old girl, is inter­est­ing enough, with her way of expe­ri­enc­ing the world and the peo­ple around her, but the sto­ry­line of doc­tor Copeland and Por­tia, I really didn’t like because of the polit­i­cal nature. The other sto­ry­ lines, of Mr. Singer, Biff Bran­non and Jake Blount were good enough at times to keep me going, but I still can’t be enthu­si­as­tic about the book. It didn’t affect me like I expect a good read to do. I only reg­is­tered what I read, but couldn’t make a world out of it.

It’s a story of loss of inno­cence, a loss of self and a loss of life. So what should have been a bril­liant story is, for me, noth­ing more than a book I tried to get through as quick as pos­si­ble so I could start a new book.