Nobody's Fool - Richard Russo
Don­ald ‘Sully’ Sul­li­van is the 60 years old anti­hero of the lit­tle town Bath. Like the town is in a slump, he is too. His knee throb­bing on the rhythm of a lively brass band, he is wait­ing to get him­self declared 100% dis­abled by law, together with his one legged lawyer Wirf, but in the mean­time he occa­sion­ally does some jobs for Carl Roe­buck, there­fore quit­ting some courses at uni­ver­sity. Not a smart move and although Sully knows that deep down inside he can’t help him­self.
He also can’t help him­self in rela­tion to the other (col­or­ful) mem­bers of the town, with Rub as high­light of every day.
Things change when his son Peter and grand­son Will come into his life. He sud­denly is forced to take his life seri­ously if he wants to take theirs seri­ously as well. So he has to cope with his own past in a house he tried so hard to avoid. This together with a dog — is it his? — called Rasputin.

Am I speak­ing in rid­dles? I’m sorry, but I’m not going to give any more away. You have to do your­self a favor and read this book. It’s one of the best books I’ve read in the last cou­ple of years. The dia­logue is real and funny, the sit­u­a­tions rec­og­niz­able and iden­ti­fi­able. It’s smartly & mas­terly written!